Friday, January 1, 2016

The Year Ahead


Happy New Year to one and all! My gratitude to those who visited Minis by Finch last year and especially to those who left comments. Knowing that others, however few, take interest in this secluded backwater of the internet is a great motivator. Thank you so much.

The Holidays took their toll as my paint table was pressed into service as a Christmas wrapping-staging-area. No space = no prep = no paint = no posts. Happily things have returned to normal and while the painting machine is spooling back up it seems appropriate to lay out a mission-statement for the coming year.
  • The blog goes straight to Hell: A boatload of Fractured Dimensions stuff on hand and a commitment to paint for Mike at Mortal Arrow means we'll be spending some time on the lower planes in 2016. Pack your fire-retardant underwear.
  • It's a Wyrd, Wyrd, Wyrd world: Wyrd miniatures' new plastic stuff isn't half bad. That said, their sadly discontinued metals are much better. In 2015 I added a new range of foothills to Lead Mountain while gobbling up as many first edition minis as I could lay my grubby mitts on. Some of these will work their way into the rotation in 2016.
  • The bloom is off the rose: I've largely lost my taste for Kickstarters. Mr. Solarz at Center Stage Miniatures saw to that. I may, however, make an exception for Cauldron Born Miniatures' campaign if and when it goes live. 
  • The Muller-Man-Crush continues: It bears mentioning that much of the aforementioned Fractured Dimensions, Wyrd, and Cauldron Born stuff was sculpted by Paul Muller. What can I say? I'm a fan. 
  • Zombtober rocks!!: It's never too early to plan.
  • Lest we forget: Reaper's excellent Peryton (sculpted by someone not named Paul Muller, oddly enough) remains fully prepped but unpainted. That needs to change.
  • Fantasy Staples: I've painted some giants in the past but strangely no dragons. Can I paint one or both in 2016?
  • Outside the box: I really can paint non-fantasy subjects. Honest. Something to prove the point may be in order.
  • Conversions anyone?: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been a while since my last serious conversion project.
  • The Prime Directive: Have fun. This is a hobby, after all. 
  • Same time next year: The ramblings above are starting to look suspiciously like New Year's resolutions. Whatever they are, a re-visitation of the list next New Years Eve seems in order. 
So ends the stream of consciousness/blather portion of the program. I conclude with two pics; one of the overflow from last Zombtober's Red Ghoul Project, the other, a first look at Bael, Duke of Hell and his retinue. They barely qualify as work in progress pics but I need to start the new year somewhere.

One can never have too many red ghouls.

Lady devil arrived New Years Eve.  Went straight onto workbench.

12 comments:

  1. Splendid news Finch... apart from the KS bit obviously. I thoroughly enjoy seeing your postings as they are inspirational to me, so lots of potential eye-candy in 2016 bodes very well in my books. Happy New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and a very happy New Year to you too.

      I've tried to be more discriminating with my KS activities post-Center-Stage. Live and learn.

      Delete
  2. Shall look forward to following oyur exploits throughout 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gordon. Hopefully my exploits don't devolve into misadventures.

      Delete
  3. A noble set of ambitions, I look forward to seeing the dragon in particular (my faves!) no pressure
    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it too late to call a Mulligan? ;)

      I've a few ideas in mind and shall do my best not to disappoint.

      Delete
  4. Well that all sounds pretty good, I shall be keeping an eye on that.

    Happy new year, all the best Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Roger. Time will tell if I've violated the old "under-promise and over-deliver" axiom.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year dude. Its been excellent following your 2015 projects and 2016 sounds like it has some awesome stuff coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simon. Happy New Year. I'll have an eye on what you're up to as well.

      Delete
  6. Your stuff has always and continues to be inspiring and I'm sure 2016 will be more of the same, if not better. :)

    ReplyDelete